• zh-hans
  • tr
  • ru
  • fr
  • es
  • en
  • de

Applying for a Schengen Visa in Canada

Europe Visa in CanadaSchengen Visa Requirements and Application Guidelines for Canadian Citizens and Residents

Canadian citizens using Canadian passports can travel within the Schengen Area of countries in Europe for tourism or business stays under ninety (90) days.

Note: (Starting January 1, 2021, Canadian citizens will have to apply for an ETIAS visa prior to their travel towards Europe, in order to be allowed to enter the territory.)

What documents do Canadians need to enter the Schengen area?

  • A Canadian passport, valid for at least three months beyond your intended date of departure from the Schengen area.
  • A justifiable reason for your travel.
  • Proof of sufficient financial resources to support yourself during your stay.
  • Compliance with any other entry requirements for each country you will visit or transit.

Canadian citizens can travel without a Schengen visa in these Euopean countries listed below:

Czech Republic

Non-Canadian citizens, who wish to travel to any member country of the Schengen Zone may require a Schengen visa depending on their citizenship. To determine whether you need a visa, please check the list of nationals who are required to have a Schengen Visa.

Below you can find more information on applying for a Schengen visa from Canada.

Who can apply for a Schengen Visa in Canada?

All non-Canadian citizens who do need a visa to enter the Schengen Area, must hold a valid permanent resident card or valid multiple entry visa for Canada with three (3) months validity after returning from the Schengen area. If your Canadian visa has expired, please have it renewed before applying.

Only applications from residents of Canada (Permanent residents, persons holding a Canadian student visa or work permit) can be accepted. Applications from persons holding long-term visitor’s visa can only be accepted if they can prove that they were unable to apply in their home country.

Non-Canadians must apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate for the Schengen Zone visa. Visa seekers are advised that they must seek visas directly and in person from the embassy or consulate as they will be interviewed and fingerprinted and biometrically scanned.

At which Schengen country’s embassy in Canada should I apply for a Schengen visa?

Depending on your purpose and/or length of visit – there are specifications that further clarify at which Embassy or Consulate you should apply.

  • If visiting one Schengen country – you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the particular country of your destination.
  • If visiting more than one Schengen country – you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the country of your main destination (the country of longest stay).
  • If visiting more than one Schengen country with equal stay duration – you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the Schengen country you will enter first.
  • If you intend to stay in the Schengen area for over 90 days you must apply for a residence permit (Long stay visa), not a Schengen visa. Instructions are on the respective embassy/consulate’s homepage.

Please, note that if you are not a resident in Canada you should apply at the Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

Schengen Visa application documents and requirements for Canadian residents

The following documents are required in order to obtain a Schengen visa in Canada:

  • A valid passport or Travel document. Please make sure that:
    • Your passport has been issued (not extended) within the previous 10 years,
    • Your passport has 2 full blank pages, one for the visa stamp and an additional spare page,
    • Your passport will be valid for at least three (3) months after the date you exit the Schengen Area.
  • Original of valid permanent resident card or valid multiple entry visa for Canada must be presented.
  • The Canada residence permit or visa should be valid at least three months beyond the intended departure from the territory of the Schengen Member States.
  • One application form (please see below) filled out completely and signed by the applicant (please read the explanations carefully).
  • One passport format photo that has a light background, is rightly coloured, and shows full face features. The photo must be less than three months old and be glued on the application form. Applications with stapled photographs will be rejected.
  • A cover letter that explains the purpose of the visit to Europe
  • Proof of travel arrangements: Round trip flight/travel reservations from Canada to Europe and back.
  • Travel Health Insurance stating that you are covered in case of a medical emergency and repatriation in the whole Schengen zone (minimum coverage of € 30.000 – approx. 50,000.00 CAD).
  • Proof of accommodation in Europe:
  • Proof of financial subsistence:
    • A recent statement of Canadian bank account for the last three months that shows funds of at least 70CAD that are equivalent to 45€ per person per day spent, or
    • Traveller’s cheques
  • Invitation letter (not older than 4 weeks) from the business partner in Europe, confirming the business trip and schedule of your visit, including the name and full address of the contact person in the respective country (Business Visa)
  • Prepaid Xpresspost envelope (Canada Post only), Regional Standard to Ontario or National Standard to all other provinces (shipment to a Canadian address only!)
  • Visa fee (approximately 95.00 CAD)

Note: Photocopies of the original documents should also be submitted and documents should not be more than one month old.

The documents listed above are documents required in all cases, regardless of the purpose of your visit in Europe. Depending on your employment status, here is a list of additional documents that are required for your visa application:

For employees:

  • Employment contract
  • Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
  • Leave permission from the employer
  • Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary

For the self-employed:

  • A copy of your business license
  • Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
  • Income Tax Return (ITR)

For foreign students in Canada:

  • Reference letter from Canadian educational institution (school/college/university) stating that you are in good standing, your major and the expected date of graduation.

For retirees:

  • Pension statement of the latest 6 months

If unemployed and married to an EU citizen:

  • A recent (less than 3 months old) Confirmation of Employment letter from their spouse’s employer stating the position held within the company as well as the starting date,
  • Spouse’s valid passport
  • An officially translated marriage certificate. The translation must be in English or in the official language of the European country you are applying for a visa and must be certified as a true copy by the Embassy of the country where the marriage took place.

Required documents for visa application for underage children

  • Original birth certificate among others.
  • Signed travel consent from both parents
    • If one parent is not located in Kanada they should submit their signed consent to the German Embassy/Consulate of their residing country

Note: All documents must be either English or officially translated by a certified translator in the official language of the European country you are applying for a visa.

Schengen Visa application and processing time in Canada

You can only apply for a visa to Europe in Canada within three months of your planned trip to Schengen countries. Since visa applications that are admitted usually take about 15 days to process,  you should consider applying at least 15 days before your intended visit to Europe. You should be aware that there are cases where additional documentation is required, processing can take up to a maximum of 60 days.

Consulates advise visa applicants to apply well in advance of their planned trip in order to avoid any unwanted complications.

There are however some specific individual cases where applicants can obtain visas faster through accelerated procedures:

  • Applicants who a have a EEA or EU citizen family member
  • Cases of extreme medical emergency

Schengen visa fees for the Canadian residents

The fees of a Schengen visa application in Canada may vary from 30 £ for children aged between 6 and 12 to 51 £ for adults (depending on currency fluctuations).

Schengen Visa Category (by age)Fee in CADFee in Euro
Adult~95 CAD60 €
Child between 6-12 years of age~55 CAD35 €
Child younger than 6 years of ageFreeFree

Note: Keep in mind that these fees may change depending on currency fluctuations and can be paid only in CAD.

When should I apply?

The best time to apply is at least 15 days before the intended visit to Europe. If you can apply even earlier than that, it is even better – although not earlier than 3 months before the intended visit!

Holders of multiple-entry visas may apply six months before the expiry date of the valid visa.

Requirements and guidelines:

What should I do if my Visa gets refused?

If you have been refused a visa, you have the right to appeal! All appeals must be conducted against the final decision Member State in accordance with the national law of the specified  Member State.

Every Member State, upon refusal, indicates the references to their exact national laws and the specific procedure that is related to the right of appeal, as well as the authorities with which you should appeal and the time limit for delivering the appeal.


Canadians to apply for EU Travel Authorization starting 2021

Citizens of Canada will have to apply for an ETIAS prior to their travel towards Europe, in order to be allowed to enter the territory, starting January 1, 2021.

The ETIAS visa waiver is a European Travel Information and Authorisation System which will require Canadians to apply online for an entry permit for Europe before entering the area, similar to the ETA that Canada use. This process allows European authorities to pre-screen all travelers and confirm their status before permitting them entry or even to board a flight thus improving security measures throughout Europe.

All nationals of the countries that benefit from visa-free regime with the EU, aside of the Schengen Area Member States, will be subject to the European Travel Information and Authorization System.

Last Updated on