France Visa Application Requirements
Depending on the purpose of your travel to France, there are different types of visas that will apply to the occasion. Whether you are planning to go on a visit, study or work and reside there permanently, you will have to apply for a different France Schengen Visa, accordingly.
You can apply for the France Visa since 1997 when France, as a Member of the European Union, also became a member state of the Schengen Area. Monaco – a European microstate/city-state located within France – is considered part of the Schengen Area although it did not officially sign the particular documents of the agreement. Besides, no border control is performed for the Schengen countries surrounding it!
On the other hand, Andorra as another microstate located between France and Spain performs border controls, therefore to enter it you should obtain a multi-entry Schengen visa since you should enter the Schengen Area while going or leaving Andorra.
Stat: As per 2014, France has issued a total of 2,613,995 uniform Schengen visas.
Stat: As per 2015, France has issued a total of 2,997,410 uniform Schengen visas from 3,356,165 visa application received. The Visa rejection rate was 9.9%.
General required documents for a France Visa Application:
- Download the France Visa Application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the France Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background. Learn more about photo requirements and specifications for a French Visa.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required
- Travel visa insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within France and the entire Schengen area
- A cover letter stating the purpose of a visit to France and itinerary
- Flight ticket reservations. Find out how to get a flight reservation for France Visa Application without paying the actual flight.
- Proof of accommodation for your entire stay in France. Book a hotel in France online!
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave permission from the employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrolment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your French Visa application.
List of additional documents required for the most frequent purposes of the France Visa Application:
French Tourist Schengen Visa:
- Invitation letter with the address and phone number from family member or sponsor – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
France Visa for Business Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the French company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
France Visa for Medical Purposes:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in France, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
France Visa for Culture, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit, expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay in France
- Travel itinerary while in France
France Visa for Members of Official Delegations:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay in France
- Place of accommodation in France
France Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes:
- An enrolment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
France Visa For The Wife/Husband of a French citizen:
- Proof of French citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of French nationality or naturalization order)
- French marriage certificate
- French family record book
French Airport Transit Visa:
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
France Visa for Underage Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the French embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
France Tech Visa (Available soon)
The French Tech Visa is part of the “Passeport Talent ” scheme which was launched in 2016.
The French Tech Visa aims to attract foreign tech talents :
- foreign start-up & scale-up founders and employees,
- foreign talents joining a French start-up or scale-up,
- foreign investors and business angels.
Do US citizens need a visa for France?
Generally, the US citizens are NOT required to possess a France Visa for entering and staying in the French European territory, in the French Overseas Départments, or, in French Overseas Territories. However, they MUST possess a visa if intending to get involved in a gainful job in a journalistic activity in any of French European territories, Overseas Départments, or, in the Overseas Territories.
As well, US citizens MUST have a French Visa to enter and stay in French Overseas Départments if they intend to study there, possess a diplomatic, official, or other service passport, or, those who want to get involved in a diplomatic or official mission there.
How long can a US citizen stay in France without a visa?
Despite that US citizens enjoy the right to enter and stay in any of French territories without a visa, the allowed days of stay in these territories are limited though. The permitted days of stay, at once, for US nationals is 90 days or 3 months, considered a short-stay.
For more information please click France Visa for U.S. Citizens and U.S. Passport holders.
For more FAQs please click here!
Attention! Please consult the Embassy of France in your country for the updated France Visa requirements!