Finland Schengen Visa Application Requirements
Depending on the purpose of your travel to Finland, there are different types of visas that will apply to the occasion. Whether you are planning to go on a visit, study or work and reside there permanently, you will have to apply for a different Finnish Schengen Visa, accordingly.
You can apply for the Finnish Schengen Visa since 2001 when Finland as an EU Member State also became a member state of the Schengen Area.
Stat: As per 2014, Finland has issued a total of 1,191,110 uniform Schengen visas.
See the list of countries whose citizens need a visa to enter Finland by clicking Do I need a visa to visit Finland?
General required documents for a Finnish Visa Application:
- Firstly, download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Finland Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background. Learn more about photo requirements and specifications for a Finnish Visa.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required
- Travel medical visa insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Finland and the entire Schengen area
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Finland and itinerary
- A copy of your return-ticket reservation with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Finland. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required. Learn how to book a round trip reservation online!
- Proof of Accommodation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Finland. Learn how to get Hotel booking or reservation for Finnish Visa application.
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave permission from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Finnish Visa application.
List of additional documents required for the most frequent purposes of Finland Visa Application:
Finland Tourist Schengen Visa:
- Invitation letter with the address and phone number from family member or sponsor – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
Finland Visa for Business Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the Finnish company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
Finland Visa for Medical Purposes:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Finland, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
Finland Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit , expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
Finland Visa for Members of Official Delegations:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Place of accommodation
Finland Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
Finland Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Finnish citizen:
- Proof of Finnish citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Finnish nationality or naturalization order)
- Finnish marriage certificate
- Finnish family record book
Finland Airport Transit Visa:
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Finland Visa for Under-Age Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the Finnish embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Attention! Please consult the Embassy of Finland in your country for the updated Finland Visa requirements!